For those with Arthritis, exercise, no matter how little you do, is one of the best Natural treatments. For those with severe Arthritis, even the smallest amount of walking can make a difference. Swimming is one of the best forms of exercise for those with Arthritis because it puts the least amount of impact on the joints. Strengthening Exercises are also recommended to keep muscles and joints strong.
One of the most common reasons people seek out Acupuncture is for Arthritis relief. Acupuncture can help relieve pain from Arthritis and increase blood flow and circulation, and reducing Inflammation.
Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine have been found to be extremely effective at treating the pain and inflammation associated with all types of Arthritis. The Acupuncture points and herbs that are used depend on if the blockage of Qi (Arthritis) is caused by the pathogen wind, cold, damp or damp-heat.
Traditional Chinese Medicine does not recognize Arthritis as one particular syndrome. Instead, it aims to treat the specific symptoms that are unique to each individual using a variety of techniques such as Acupuncture, Chinese herbs, bodywork, lifestyle/dietary recommendations and energetic exercises to restore imbalances found in the body. Therefore, if 10 patients are treated with Oriental medicine for joint pain, each of these 10 patients will receive a unique, customized treatment with different acupuncture points, different herbs and different lifestyle and diet recommendations.
Through the specific placement of needles on acupuncture points on the body, acupuncture realigns the body back to balance.
Made from the chemical that gives Chili Peppers their heat, Capsaicin cream has been known to relieve Arthritis pain. The cream works by decreasing the body’s pain receptors and as a result, lessening the overall pain caused by Arthritis. The cream can be bought without a prescription at your local drug store.
Fish oil is beneficial for numerous reasons, one of them being its Anti-Inflammatory properties. Because it is rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, trials have found that the oil can reduce morning stiffness and the need for pain medication for those with Arthritis. Fish oil is a supplement that is safe and recommended to take every day for the most beneficial effects.
Mind-body techniques like Meditation, Relaxation and Tai Chi have been seen to improve overall quality of life for those with Arthritis. Tai Chi is a martial art that involves slow, easy movements along with deep breathing. This exercise can improve the body’s motion and physical fitness without being too demanding on the joints and muscles. Although meditation and relaxation do not necessarily reduce pain, they have been found to improve mood and health in Arthritis patients dealing with chronic pain.
Studies have shown that some patients benefit from changes in their diet by eliminating food that may contribute to their Arthritis pain. Eliminating the Nightshade family is highly beneficial ~ Please AVOID: Tomatoes, White Potatoes (but not Sweet Potatoes), Eggplant, Tobacco, Bell Peppers, Paprika, & Hot Peppers! In addition, by removing Allergens from the diet, overall Inflammation can be reduced. Common diets that have been seen to be beneficial include a Mediterranean diet rich in Nuts, Fish, Vegetables, Fruit and Olive Oil. Foods that are not recommended include red meat and dairy as those can cause Inflammatory reactions.
Here are some other healthy (and delicious) choices to include in your diet.
- Ginger – A natural Anti-Inflammatory, available as powdered extracts in capsules as well as alcohol-based extracts. Follow the dosing directions on the label. Or make tea by combining one-half teaspoon of grated ginger root with eight ounces of boiling water. Cover and steep for 10 to 15 minutes, then strain and add honey to taste.
- Fresh Pineapple – Bromelain, an enzyme in pineapple, reduces Inflammation. Be sure the pineapple is fresh, not canned or frozen.
- Cherries – Recent research has shown that tart cherries are an excellent source of nutrients that may help to reduce Joint pain and Inflammation related to arthritis.
- Fish – Cold-water fish such as Salmon and Mackerel contain Omega-3 Fatty Acids, which help keep joints healthy as well as reduce pain and swelling. If you don’t care for fish, consider supplementing your diet with fish oil capsules.
- Turmeric – Another natural Anti-inflammatory. Look for an extract of whole Turmeric, in health-food stores; follow the dosage directions on the label.
Please call me to personalize all of your Health Care needs! 310. 450. 9711.