For people with Psoriasis, suffering from painful symptoms like inflamed, flaking and red skin is not pleasant. The chronic skin condition is due to an overactive Immune System that can be triggered by a number of internal and external factors. Many Western treatments include Steroid creams and oral medications that come with a slew of unwanted side effects.
Below are Alternative Treatments that are safe and natural and can help reduce symptoms of Psoriasis, leading you back to better health.
- Aloe Vera: The gel from this cactus plant can be used generously on your skin to reduce redness and scaling caused by Psoriasis. Aloe vera can be found in almost any grocery or health store.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is thought to have Antiseptic properties. It can sooth irritated skin or scalp and can be applied daily.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has strong Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant properties. Because of this, Turmeric has been found to reduce Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis flares. Turmeric can be found in pill form as well as powder form to be added to food.
- Dead Sea Salts: Soaking in a bath with Dead Sea salts or Epsom salts can remove scaly skin and reduce itching. It is recommended that you use warm water and stay in the tub for 15 minutes.
- Calendula: These creams are very popular in Europe for the topical treatment of eczema and psoriasis. The cream is often combined with soothing chamomile for a variety of skin conditions. It should be applied topically two or three times a day.
- Chamomile: The German Commission E approves the use of chamomile for treating a variety of skin conditions. Topical chamomile treatments can reduce inflammation and allergic reaction activity. Look for a cream containing 3 to 10-percent crude drug chamomile content and follow the label for dosage directions.
Mindfulness and meditation practices have been found to be effective in people suffering with chronic pain like Psoriasis.
Meditation is the practice of focusing your attention on the moment and ridding yourself of all external thoughts you may be having. This can lead to a state of relaxation and calmness, bringing balance to your body and mind.
Mindfulness, which is practiced in meditation, includes becoming completely aware of your body, externally and internally. This can be a seated meditation that is focused on awareness of mind, body and senses.
Not only is exercise important to maintain overall health and wellness, it is especially beneficial for people with Psoriasis.
Because people with Psoriasis have an increased risk of Heart Disease and Type 2 Diabetes, regular exercise can prove very helpful.
Many find it hard to exercise because of the chronic pain associated with Psoriasis. Exercise programs in the water prove to be an effective alternative that is easier on the body and still allows you to build endurance and strength.
Other simple ways to fit more exercise into your day include short walks, taking the stairs and stretching.
Acupuncture has been proven to be effective in minimizing chronic pain in patients. Weekly Acupuncture treatments can address your SKIN, all of your underlying issues, and strengthen your Immune System. Included in the evaluation is finding appropriate Herbs & Supplements to address all of you health concerns. Acupuncture takes a holistic approach with the body and symptoms you may be experiencing. By returning the body to its natural flow, Acupuncture can help reduce the intensity of symptoms of psoriasis.
You will need to begin by eliminating sugar and refined and processed foods from your diet. This means avoiding table sugar, foods that contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup, any white food, like white bread, biscuits, pizza dough, baked goods, anything that comes in a box and most canned foods.
Add foods rich in vitamins A and B-complex, like green leafy vegetables, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes and dried beans.
Add foods that are high in magnesium. These include nuts, seeds, whole grains, and fresh green vegetables — organic if possible.
Magnesium is so essential for helping to prevent allergies, detoxify, improve skin quality and relaxation that you might consider adding it as a supplement. The most common form is magnesium citrate taken at 300 milligrams twice daily.
Increase the Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in your diet — the healthy fats — by adding wild salmon (be sure it’s free of mercury), walnuts, vegetables, nut and seed oils, especially Flaxseed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Black Currant Seed Oil.
- Soak a towel in cold milk and apply to affected area to relieve itching.
- Add ½ cup ground Oatmeal into a warm bath.
- Rub the affected area with the inner side of a banana peel.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel to affected area.
- Cut several fresh Willow branches into 3-inch stems and place in a pot with plenty of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until water becomes black. Wash affected areas with the water three times daily.
- Slice 15 water Chestnuts and soak in 3 oz. of Rice Vinegar. Crush and store in a sealed jar. Apply the paste to affected area and cover with gauze. Change daily.
Call me now to set up an evaluation and treatment plan ~ Dr. Mindy Boxer 310. 450. 9711.