More than 34 million Americans have Diabetes, and approximately 90 percent of them have Type 2 Diabetes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Type 2 diabetes, while its exact cause is unknown, develops when the body becomes resistant to Insulin or the Pancreas doesn’t produce enough insulin. Because of this, treatment often involves taking “insulin sensitizers” or medication that helps the body increase its sensitivity and therefore ability to process insulin, keeping the blood sugar from getting too low. Unfortunately, this medication often causes side effects, including weight gain and anemia. The good news is, for those millions of Americans living with Type 2 Diabetes, research shows ElectroAcupuncture combined with an Insulin sensitizer may be a viable new treatment option. The study was published in 2015 in the journal Acupuncture in Medicine. In it, researchers looked at the effect of the combination of ElectroAcupuncture and Metformin – one kind of insulin sensitizer – on insulin-resistant rats. In one group of rats, the researchers only administered Metformin. In the other, the rats were given Metformin and Electroacupuncture treatments, and then they compared several different factors. Overall, the rats that received both treatment types had higher insulin levels than those who just got the metformin. Interestingly, while metformin does improve insulin sensitivity and suppresses gluconeogenesis – a process that makes glucose in the body, it does not actually cause insulin production. Therefore, the researchers attributed the higher levels of insulin in the metformin and electroacupuncture group to be due to the acupuncture treatments themselves. The researchers also compared two other indicators of insulin production and absorption between the two groups and for each of the indicators, the rats that also received electroacupuncture performed better. Of course, human clinical trials are needed, but the researchers were excited enough about their findings that they suggested this combination could be developed as a new treatment option for patients with Type 2 Diabetes. This study is just one in a long list that has sought to bring the gifts of Acupuncture to patients with diabetes. As always in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), we want to improve your health from the root cause outward to the symptoms, addressing how a patient came to be Diabetic as well as the health problems that arise with a diagnosis. TCM teaches it is important to look at all aspects of your well-being, including diet, exercise and mental health altogether, not as unrelated elements. If you have any questions about Acupuncture for Diabetes, or you’d like to start a journey to better health before a life-changing diagnosis, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me. 310. 450. 9711. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Mindy Boxer3301 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405(310) 450-9711
5.0Based on 3 ReviewsGiuditta T.2014-02-21 07:45:28I really love Mindy and as a doula I send her a lot of my pregnant clients and they are always very satisfied. I have sent her moms who had never had...Shelley Y.2013-06-27 15:14:14I started seeing Dr. Mindy Boxer for acupuncture treatments in February. I was almost 39 and wanted to start a family. I had anticipated it taking a while...Eric C.2012-10-02 13:43:53I tried a few different acupuncturist in Santa Monica and found that while the treatments worked for my upper back pain, the experience was much like going...
- Testimonials“My family and I have seen Dr. Mindy Boxer since 1997 and during this time Mindy has treated us for a variety of health issues, both emotional and physical. Health and well being is what we recieve in results from Dr. Mindy Boxer. Dr. Boxer’s accupuncture treatments are the most... Read more »In addition to providing one of the most soothing environments in Los Angeles, Mindy offers an array of treatments that I have found to be incredibly effective and uplifting. Over the last several years, she has treated me for a variety of conditions, both chronic and specific, including sciatica, headaches... Read more »“After I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I looked into alternative treatment in addition to conventional methods. I truly credit my work with Dr. Mindy as part of the reason for my successful battle over breast cancer. Her treatment included acupuncture, nutritional advice, and herbal formulas. I felt confident in... Read more »“Things are going very well with the pregnancy. I am now almost 28 weeks! I haven’t had any morning sickness, cravings or any complications. Truly a blessing! Thank you again for your part in my fertility journey. You were so helpful and wonderful.
Oh yeah, it’s a boy!”
I was referred to Dr. Boxer as a 34-year-old seeking treatment for infertility. I had already undergone several attempts at IUI and one unsuccessful round of IVF. When I asked my doctor about acupuncture, he suggested I see Dr. Boxer, and I began weekly appointments about two months before undergoing... Read more »
I tried a few different acupuncturist in Santa Monica and found that while the treatments worked for my upper back pain, the experience was much like going to the dentist. Then I started going to Dr. Boxer and had a whole different experience.
The treatment rooms are very relaxing and... Read more »
- • Tips to Manage Fall Allergy Season •
- • Fall’s Best Comfort Food •
- • 3 Tips to Keep Mentally Healthy in Fall •